Find a Solicitor       Legal Issue       List Your Firm

Accidents at Work

Your employer has a duty to protect you and tell you about health and safety issues that affect you. They also have a legal obligation to report certain accidents and incidents, and to pay you statutory sick pay, or contractual sick pay if you are entitled to it, if you need time off because of an accident at work.
Accident Reporting:
Your employer must report serious work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous incidents to the Incident Contact Centre of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). They must report:

• death
• major injuries (eg a broken arm or ribs)
• disease
• dangerous incidents (eg the collapse of scaffolding, people overcome by gas)
• any other injury that stops an employee from doing their normal work for more than three days

If you've been injured in an accident at work and you think your employer is at fault, you may want to make a claim for compensation. Any claim must be made within three years of the date of the accident, and you'll normally need a lawyer to represent you.

© 2006 Glo-Bed (UK) Ltd           Contact Us